I can’t believe it’s been four months since I made Jon a shirt for work. I bought fabric to make him another one shortly after I finished the first, but I kept putting it off because my memories of making that shirt involve some tedious sewing.
But I try to rotate through family members as I sew (something for me, something for Seth, something for Ezra…) and it was definitely Jon’s turn. So I finally used that fabric and made him another oxford shirt.
This time went much easier than last time. I still had some trouble getting the part where the collar stand attaches to the shirt to look professional, but luckily he always has to wear a tie to work so it’s covered up anyway.
The problem was that after easing the collar on, I came up a little short on one end and the collar stand couldn’t line up flush with the edge of the shirt. But next time I will take better care to pin more so that doesn’t happen.
I could have ripped it off and tried again, but I didn’t wanna.
I used Kwik Sew pattern 3422 to make this shirt (and his first one too). I think it is a good pattern, and I can even understand the instructions for it. But I bought a craftsy.com class called The Classic Tailored Shirt and so I made it along with my class.
The only thing I don’t like about this pattern is that it has 1/4″ seam allowances. I think that’s pretty ridiculous. Setting sleeves with only 1/4″ to work with is horrendous-at least for me it is. Last time, I used the size large (his measurements fall into the medium size range) and then used a 3/8″ seam allowance instead. That turned out too big, so this time I used the size medium, still with the 3/8″ seam allowance and it fit just right.
Also, I used a cotton polyester blend for this shirt. Last time I used some 100% cotton broadcloth, but I don’t like that fabric’s texture and it wrinkles terribly. The polyester gives the fabric in this shirt a much better texture and makes it much less wrinkly.
I’m happy with how the shirt turned out and I am excited to make him another one.