Seth needed some new jeans and so of course I wanted to make him some. But I couldn’t find any patterns in his size. So I used my Oliver + S Art Museum Trousers pattern and just altered it a little bit to make it more jeans-like.
Valentine’s Day t-shirts didn’t happen this year. After making their early t-shirts, I didn’t have enough fabric left over to make more. I ordered more fabric, but it hasn’t come yet.
I love my Angela Wolf jeans pattern so much that I decided to buy her Ruched-T pattern.
It is a pretty versatile pattern, with options for three different collars (short, medium, and long). Then you can twist the collar on any of those options, so it’s really like six different choices.
There is a long sleeve and short sleeve option, and there is also the option of ruching the sides of the top too.
I chose to make a short sleeve top with a long, twisted collar and no ruching. I’m happy with the pattern and instructions and with how the top turned out.
The measurements in the sizing chart were a bit different than what I usually see. My measurements didn’t line up at all in the chart, but I just made a small because that’s what I usually wear and it worked out perfect.
I added some length to the sleeve because I usually like my short sleeve tops to be a little longer. I added bands to the sleeves and to the hem.
I am sure I will make this pattern again. I really want to try the medium length collar next.
After making Ezra a raglan t-shirt last week, I decided to make Seth one too. I thought it would be nice to use up some of my scraps of fabric and Seth definitely needs more t-shirts anyway.
Unfortunately, I had troubles with the Oliver + S raglan t-shirt pattern in Seth’s size. It looked too small for Seth (even the biggest size that the pattern offers), so I decided to add a little extra room at the fold in the front and back.
I blended the neckline and thought it might work, but it did not work! The neck hole was way too big. I should have realized that would happen before I tried it, but I’m still learning about pattern alterations…
When I tried the failed shirt on him (when it was completely finished except for the hem), the body of the shirt looked like it would be okay without the extra room anyway. So I decided to start over and make another one without adding anything extra to the pattern.
I got that one all finished (again, except for the hem) and tried it on him and saw that the shoulder area was way too tight for him. I didn’t notice that when I tried the first one on him because the neck was so floppy it wasn’t obvious.
By then, I decided to bag the Oliver + S pattern and just use my children’s t-shirt pattern. I really want a raglan pattern for Seth, so one day I’ll fix that pattern so it will fit him. Or better yet, I’ll alter my t-shirt pattern and make a raglan sleeve option.
So, it took all week to finish one t-shirt for Seth that actually fits!
|He started our photo session out being goofy. And with a wet mark on his shirt from brushing his teeth.|
|Then he realized he was going to be late for school. Can you tell he hates being late?|
I made Owen a pair of Art Museum Trousers from Oliver + S. I really liked making a pair for both of my other boys so I thought it was time Owen had a pair too.
They were a rather uneventful sew, except that I messed the front pockets up a little bit so they kind of hang open instead of laying flat. I was pretty angry at myself for doing something so stupid, but after inspecting them I know exactly what I did wrong. It’s too hard to explain, but at least I know I’ll never do it again!
I used some 21 wale corduroy from fabric.com. I was upset that the little cut of fabric I ordered came with a couple of holes in it. But I was able to cut around the holes and still have enough for his pants.
|You can see the front pockets droop a little bit.|
|I am in love with the tiny welt pockets.|
|He would not cooperate for a front shot, so this is as good as I could get.|
I also got a new sewing machine this week!
My old one was cheap and we got it at the end of 2012, just to see if I would really like sewing. Now that I have established that I definitely like sewing, I feel like I sew enough of my family’s clothes to justify an upgrade. My old one can’t take thick fabric at all. It can’t even take a couple of layers of thin fabric. It also really struggles with button holes. So, I got a better one. I can see myself upgrading again in a few years, but right now I’m super excited about this one.