Color Blocking A T-Shirt


I made Ezra another t-shirt (with my pattern), color blocked this time. He had a friend over who had on a great color blocked t-shirt.

2014-04-21 10.09.04

So I based Ezra’s off of that one.


First, I decided where I wanted to have the color blocking start and then I marked that on the front and back pieces of my pattern. I made sure the lines would match up on the front and back by aligning the pieces at the bottom of the armscye and marking where the lines should go.

2014-04-26 13.20.00

Can you see the cut lines I drew on there?

Then, I cut the pattern pieces apart and added a seam allowance to the new edges I just made.

2014-04-26 13.36.28

I added seam allowance to the new edges of my front and back body pieces, and my new front and back yokes.

I cut the body pieces out of one color, and the yoke, sleeve, and collar pieces out of another color. Then I serged the yokes to the body pieces and then topstitched the seam allowances down.

2014-04-26 14.39.14 2014-04-26 14.39.44

I assembled the rest the usual way. I like how it turned out, and Ezra likes it too. Although he was sad there were no stripes on the sleeves of his shirt. Next time maybe.

wpid695-20140428-181702.jpg wpid687-20140428-181742.jpg

I got new clothing tags and I’m happy about that. My old ones were too girly to put in any of my boys’ clothes which was a real bummer since 4/5 of the time I’m sewing for boys. Now I can tag everything I make.


2 thoughts on “Color Blocking A T-Shirt

  1. Pingback: New Tops | Sweet Shop Sewing

Leave a Reply to ktbffh Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.