I bought a cut of fabric last summer that was $2.99 a yard. It was so cheap that I couldn’t pass it up, but when it came it didn’t look all that great. The fabric was pretty thin and not the best quality and so it’s been sitting in my stash all year.
Last week I decided I was sick of looking at it just sitting there on the shelf so I made a top out of it using my Burda pattern. It’s the same pattern that I have used for my running tops.
It’s definitely not my favorite shirt I’ve ever made, but they can’t all be super duper awesome, right? And I’ll definitely wear it.
While my machines were all set for sewing with knits, I decided to make Seth and Ezra each a t-shirt. School starts one month from today (yikes!) and I have a goal to make them three new outfits each.
I planned on keeping the shirts hanging nicely in the closet until school starts. But I am just not good at that! It almost pains me to see new clothes hanging in a closet without getting any use. So when I asked them to put the shirts on so I could take pictures of them, I let them keep wearing them the rest of the day. I figure they’re going to get stained very shortly after they start wearing them regardless of when the wearing starts.
I used my t-shirt pattern for both shirts. I color blocked Ezra’s like I did his last one.
The pocket on the front is a bit big, but I dig it.
Seth’s color blocking was easy-I just made the sleeves, collar, and pocket one color and the body of the shirt another color.
I used Robert Kaufman’s laguna stretch fabric for both shirts. I can’t remember if I’ve already talked about this or not, but I’ve gotten very picky about what knit fabric I use to make our clothes. There have been a lot of cuts I’ve bought that ended up being paper thin and the stuff I made out of them got holes really fast so now I try to only buy fabric from designers I know make good fabric.
Now to live it up this last month of Summer while making school clothes at the same time.