We had to go to a wedding last week and all the boys needed black pants and white shirts for it. Owen didn’t have either of these things, so I made him some.
I’ll just say now that none of the pictures of the shirt and pants show a lot of detail, but they’re good enough I think because I don’t want to take any more!
Anyway, I used my trusty Oliver + S Art Museum Trousers pattern for the pants and I’ve talked about that pattern a bunch of times already. I used a scrap of black twill I had left over from some pants I made for Jon.
For the shirt, I used this Ethan pattern from Sis Boom Patterns.
It was my first time using that pattern, and I thought it was pretty good. I had some trouble understanding how to do the front buttonhole placket. I’ve never seen it done in that way before, and I did it wrong the first time. Then I realized how to do it right so I ripped it off and fixed it.
The pattern has 1/4″ seam allowances, and I hate 1/4″ seam allowances. The instructions said to glue things a lot before sewing with a fabric glue stick, but I think it would have been better to have just included bigger seam allowances in the pattern than to have to glue things together.
I just added more seam allowance to my pattern pieces before cutting out though, so it wasn’t a big deal.
Also, the pattern only came with long sleeves and I wanted short sleeves, so I just altered it a little to make short sleeves.
I didn’t have time to order any fabric, so I went to a thrift store and bought an enormous men’s shirt and cut it up to make this shirt.
Now that the wedding is over, Owen is left with new Sunday clothes and I’m happy about that.