Seth got a new shirt. I used the Sketchbook Shirt pattern from Oliver + S for this one. This was my first time sewing a shirt out of this pattern, and I wasn’t disappointed. All of their patterns are so nice and have great directions.
Their sizes go up to a size 12, and I do wish they had bigger sizes though. I thought that maybe Seth would fit into a size 12, but I made a muslin to check for sure. He’s the only one of my kids I make muslins for because he’s a little tricky to fit.
I ended up adding about 3 1/2 inches of length to the pattern. I think this pattern is a little short for my liking because Seth isn’t really tall for his age and even the size 12 was too short for him.
I also added 1/2 inch of width to each center front because the muslin fit a tad tight across his chest. Of course then I had to add an inch of length to the collar too.
And lastly, I dropped the armpit down 1/2 inch to give him some more room because it was too tight there too.
I’ve been trying to talk Seth into wearing button-up shirts for awhile. It was a no go until I told him I could embroider his name on the front pocket. He thought that sounded awesome and said he’d wear one if it had his name.
After this shirt was all finished I gave it to him, making sure to show him the awesome pocket with Seth written across it. I held my breath as he put it on, hoping he wouldn’t find something he hated about it right away.
“I love this shirt!” he said with a huge grin on his face. But after a few seconds he looked at me with wide eyes and said, “The buttons are touching me, Mom!”
He hates it if anything itchy or rough touches him so I was worried it was all over and I’d never get him to wear it. But I got him to put on an undershirt with it and he wore it the rest of the day. Whew!
I used a cotton poly gingham just like I did for Jon’s and Owen’s last shirts. I kind of have a thing for gingham right now.
I will definitely be making more shirts with this pattern. I think I’ll have to buy it in Owen’s size too so I can make everybody one.