I haven’t made a new skirt in a long time, and I decided I definitely needed to fix that.
I made my denim skirt last Spring, and I wear it to church more than anything else, so I made another denim skirt like that one except out of black denim this time.
I got the denim from fabric.com and the front buttons from Mood Fabrics.
I already wrote about how I drafted the front and back for this skirt off of a ready to wear skirt that I have, and then I used the waistband, fly, pocket, and yoke pieces from a jeans pattern that I like (An Angela Wolf jeans pattern).
My first denim skirt gets some pull lines across the front because it’s a little too tight in the thighs, so I added a little bit of width to the outseams for this black skirt. Because of that, I needed to widen my waistband a little bit too. I added the extra width to the center of the waistband because that seemed like a good place to add to.
But it turns out that I should have added to the ends of the waistband instead of the center, because adding to the center widened the curve out in the back and made the waistband of my skirt gape a little bit.
Now I can look at the pattern piece and easily see that adding right there would mess up the curve. But I didn’t realize it before and now I will just have to call it a learning experience and know that I’ll never make that mistake again!
At least it’s not that bad. And it only gapes when I sit.
I’m glad that I have a black skirt now, because every girl needs a black skirt for sure.